Thursday, August 05, 2004

Idealism by another name

I've been called a bleeding heart liberal. Actually, make that I've been yelled that.

I disagree.

I consider myself an idealist. Always have, always will.

My idealism stems from the fact:
  • I was a sickly child and had more time to spend by myself than with others.
  • I was one of ones who were almost always last picked for a team

Being what I was, I longed for understanding, acceptance, anything that would make me feel part of the whole. The older I got, the more I used my outsider status to observe and analyze. However, I've charm; charm enough to allow me insider status if I wanted, but I find myself distrusting that. But I digress.

You see, my politics stem from a deep desire to see no one gets left out (like I did)... no one gets punished for circumstances beyond their control (like I experienced)... that everyone gets a chance to decide for themselves if they wish to participate.

How does this attitude harm anyone? I think I've figured out a reason why "conservatives (for lack of a better term)" fear people like me.

They think there's a finite amount to things - that to give something to someone means taking away from someone. We're so used to budget mentality that this is how we operate. To afford this, we have to take away from that.

What I want to know is, IF we're taking away from people, WHY are we taking away from the masses, rather than the few? I hope I get some answers, cause I really want to know. Something about all of this just doesn't make sense to me.

Let's say there's a large dining table and we ran out of food. Do you take from the guy who's plate is heaped high? or the guy who has a couple of peas, a few nibbles of corn and half a hot dog?


Filed under Reveries & Paranoias and Politics & B.S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home