Tuesday, June 21, 2005

How do we begin?

So I mention at work, "Did you guys know that there's a petition online to have the U.N. out of the U.S."

and here are my two responses:

"I didn't even know the U.N. was based here."

"It's about time! The U.N.'s worthless. Bunch o' dictators!"

I sat astonished. Then I realized that if I hadn't visited New York as a child and visited the U.N. building, perhaps I wouldn't have known that the U.N. was based there.

So my question to you all is, how do we begin to educate? These are grown smart men we're talking about. One with a college degree.

The second thing that hit me during this conversation was... the hermetically sealed world of most Americans is going to be the downfall of America. I mean, I've read in newspaper reports that Iraq was going to be the first Muslim democracy.... and my immediate reaction was, gee, what does that make Malaysia or Indonesia (tho most would probably say that Indonesia's elections are rigged but then, umm wasn't ours? Oh you mean the battle in the courts didn't result in a court appointed president? Wow, must be nice in your world)

And Iranian elections a sham? Then why was a moderate elected last time? If ineffectuality is the hallmark of a sham, then I guess our dear leader currently proves that this past election was a sham.

What I see happening in America is a direct result of high schools NOT teaching world history or geography or world politics. Also a result of bad media coverage of world events. I mean, basically, the only time world politics and events penetrate the U.S. consciousness seems to be when disasters happen, like government takeovers, tsunamis and the ilk.

So tell me folks, how do we educate people?

Filed under Reveries & Paranoias.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home