Friday, April 15, 2005

Stuck Rubber Baby

When I first worked as an agent in comic books, I was witness to a very wonderful birthing: Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse.

About every two to three months, Howard would send us a xeroxed copy of his latest chapter. When the pages arrived, the office would stop. Fights broke out over who got to read the chapter first. I am not kidding about this.

Recently, Howard and I got in touch with each other again and I was very very pleased to see that this book is now translated into several languages.

I'm very very fond of Howard. There's a few reasons why. Howard and Eddie carved a life for themselves in New York, and after umpteen years, Howard STILL talks with a slight twang in his voice, still dresses in plaid shirts and still has a tender heart. I don't know how he did that. I would've been swallowed up by the New York culture, accent and attitude permanently shifted.

For four years, I watched Howard pour his soul into this graphic novel. It's semi-autobiographical, which becomes very apparent if you've read it and have met Howard and even now, the investment in Stuck Rubber Baby shows. So please help and make this investment pay off. Make DC Comics reprint this baby over and over again until Howard can make *some* royalties off it.

Filed under Facets & Galleries of Art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home